Monday, July 21, 2008

Centri-Kid Camp Pictures

Okay, so I didn't get the camp pictures uploaded and posted to my blog before we left for the beach. Sorry about that! I did good to get the clothes washed up and re-packed for the beach Friday night.

Here is our group picture. We took fifteen kids to the week-long camp. I think another twelve kids went to the weekend camp two hours after we returned. Our Pastor to Children and Families (the tall guy in the picture) got to go to both camps. Seven straight days of camp! He is one dedicated guy!The Centri-Kid staff loaned us their golf-cart to transport Megan (middle front) to the different activities at camp. Megan lost her mom to cancer February 2007 and then in the Summer of 2007, she found out that she had cancer. She has been going through chemotheraphy and hopes to finish up her treatments by the end of this year. You can read more about Megan at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/meganbrittain.
Megan was in my room, so I got to spend a lot of time with Megan. Megan has been through more than any eleven year old should have to endure. Even through all her circumstances, Megan has a smile on her face and is truly an inspiration. To watch this child worship God despite her circumstances, really touched my heart. She really helped me put things into perspective in my life. I'm glad that I got the opportunity to spend time with Megan at camp.

How many boys can you fit in a Dodge Caravan? At least eight and two adults. :)
This is Jeff Slaughter. He writes the VBS music for Lifeway. He really loves spending time with the kids at camp and makes camp a lot of fun for the kids. On Wednesday, they had "Slaughter Salon." Jeff and the other Centri-Kid staff members "styled" your hair for a $1 donation to missions.

So, after a trip to the "Slaughter Salon" - we looked like we stepped out of Whoville. It took me three hair washings to get all that hairspray out of my hair. Then I took three ibuprofen tablets to get rid of my headache.
Hanging out in the snack bar after visiting the "Slaughter Salon."
I did enjoy camp, but it was very tiring. I was getting up at 5:30am and going to bed after 11:30pm every night. Yeah, lights out was supposed to be at 10:30pm, but that never happened. Especially after a trip to the snack bar at 9:30pm every night. The snack bar was my least favorite aspect of camp. Trust me, the workers in the snack bar weren't happy about it either. :)
I hope that I can do it again next year.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

The camp definitely looks fun but exhausting! Great pictures!

Kristin said...

Yes, that sums it up completely! I really do hope that I can go again next year.